Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Great Alaskan Adventure

Last week we went on an Alaskan cruise with our family. My parents, Bryan's parents, and Bryan's grandmother and Aunt went also. We used this opportunity to finally share our "Big Secret" - that we were already 15 weeks pregnant. I was actually kind of nervous that since I was already starting to "grow" a little, that my mom would notice something before we made the big reveal. We flew into Seattle Friday night, and after breakfast Saturday morning, Bryan and I gave each of our parents a gift for their Anniversaries. This trip was actually planned because my parents were celebrating their 30th wedding anniversary and Bryan's parents were celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary. We told them that we needed to give them their gifts before we got on the cruise because they might be able to enjoy this gift while on our vacation. Both of our moms opened the gift at the same time, which was a picture frame that said Happy Anniverasry on top, with a picture of our sonogram in it with a phrase at the bottome that said "Due to arrive November 21!" It seemed like forever until they finally realized what we were trying to tell them. My mom even made a comment about how cute the frame was. She told us afterwards she was a little confused becuase she didn't understand how she was going to be able to use a picture frame on our cruise before we had taken any pictures! Once they finally realized we were pregnant, everyone got really excited. I think there were even a few tears. It was fun to see how excited they were. This will be the first grandchild for my parents and the fourth for Bryan's parents. The rest of our trip was just so fun because everything we did with our families was compounded with excitement due to this new baby.

The following are several pictures from our trip. Of course, when you go on a cruise, you have to do the obligatory "life safety drill."


Our first formal night. We took one of the staged formal night pictures from one of the cruise photographers, and on one of the poses she made me cross my arms in front of me. When we viewed the pictures later, I didn't quite realized how pregnant it made me look when my dress was tucked below my belly. I wasn't quite ready for those pictures yet!


Bryan's grandmother was so much fun the entire week. She was a trooper, even staying up way later than me most nights listening to a pianist who played almost every night in one of the cruise lounges.


It was some of the most beutiful scenary I have ever seen! A little cold, however.


Our fist port was in Juneau, Alaska, and we took a self-guided tour to Mendenhall Glacier National Park. We decided to go on a 3.5 mile hike to the top of this mountain to overlook the glacier (they don't let you walk on the glaciers anymore). Well, I didn't realize quite how strenuous this was going to be, and I was beat at the end of the hike to say the least.



Here's my 15 week belly. We thought we'd get a picture of the baby at his (or her) first glacier experience!


Unbelievable beauty God can create, don't you think?


Our next day we rented a car in Scagway, Alaska, and drove into the Yukon Territory of Canada. We saw our one and only black bear there, on the side of the road grazing. He didn't seem to mind us stopping and taking his picture.


Our next day we cruised Glacier Bay National Park. We stayed on the ship the entire day, and they took us to see some of the most amazing glaciers.




This was another cruise ship in the distance we were kind of traveling with for the week. You can see the perspective of how big the glaciers are when the ship is up against them.


The next day we stopped in Ketchikan, Alaska, where we went ocean kayaking. It was really fun, but my arms have never been so tired.



Our last formal night happened to be our 4th wedding anniversary. They brought us the best dessert of the entire week, and that is saying a lot! There were multiple occasions in which I ordered two desserts because I wanted to try them both - I just said one was for me and one was for the baby!


Our last night before we returned to Seattle we stopped in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. Here are my wonderful parents, and soon to be Grandparents for the first time!

Here are Bryan's parents in front of one of the Canadian government buildings.

We had a great time with our families and can't wait until our next vacation!

1 comment:

  1. Chris and I would LOVE to go on an Alaskan cruise someday. Your pictures are incredibly beautiful. Glad you all had such a great time.

    ReplyDelete