Monday, May 23, 2011

Six Months - Happy 1/2 Birthday, Brylee!

What a beautiful six month old I have! Brylee actually celebrated her 6 month birthday last Monday, but we did not have our well-baby check-up until today. Brylee was a champ, and showed off her new motor skills to her pediatrician, but hated her shots! She screamed like no other. As soon as we got home she nursed and fell fast asleep. She's still growing, and the doctor said she looked great! I have been extra grateful lately and so thankful to God for a healthy baby.


She weighs 15 lb 11 oz (25-50%)

She is 26 3/4 inches long (75-90%)

Her head measures 17 inches (50-75%) We have had several friends have new babies in the last few weeks, and it brings back so many memories from six months ago. When Brylee was born, I loved her more than I have ever loved anything in my life. But I love her so much more now than I did then. I am learning to love. My love for her grows every time I look at her, every time I hold & kiss her, and every time she smiles and reaches for me. Six months old is such a fun age. And it is perfect timing for last Friday to be my last day of "full-time" work. I have had the last two days at home with my babe, and I LOVE IT! We haven't done anything big or special, just trips to the gym (she can go with me now because she can finally go to the daycare!), walks to the park, and playing at home. I look forward to being with her more as she continues to grow and figure out her world!

She is so much fun! Some things she is up to lately:

- She wakes up between 6:30-7:30 am
- She goes to sleep at 8:30 pm
- She sleeps through the night, although lately she has woken us up occasionally with just a few seconds of crying, then puts herself back to sleep. I think she might be starting to teeth.
- Our night-time routine is very consistent: naked time on the floor, followed by greasing up with Vaseline & lotion, followed by pajamas, followed by nursing, we rock and sing 1 song (the same song every night), then lay down awake in the crib & zip up in her sleep sack, one last kiss goodnight, then turn out the lights! I love our nights!
- She naps 3 times/day - approx 9 am -10:30, 12:30-1:30pm, 5:00-5:30pm
- She grabs her right ear as a comfort measure when she is tired or trying to go to sleep. Very cute!
- She nurses or takes her bottle 5 times/day, about 5 oz bottle
- She eats solid food 3 times/day after milk, about 3-5 oz each time
- Foods Brylee likes: apples, pears, pears & blueberries, mangos, peaches, bananas, carrots, & sweet potatoes. I think peaches are her favorite!
- Foods Brylee hates: peas! She spits these out, so I don't even try anymore (I don't like peas, so why should I make her eat them?)
- I still make most of her food, although when we travel she eats prepared stage 2 baby foods. The pediatrician told us today to go ahead and start letting her try soft table foods, like Cheerios & puffs, to prepare her to advance to other consistencies.
- She has also tried some formula, and took to it well, because we will probably have to start supplementing before she is able to drink cows milk
- We feed her while she sits in her bumbo seat, but it is probably time to transition her to a high chair

New activities she is doing:

- She can sit unsupported for about the last 2 weeks now! I'm so proud of her, and she enjoys it so much more than laying on her back. She does occasionally topple over, but she's good enough that I can sit her down & leave her to play
- She can manipulate her paci, picking it up off the floor, putting it in & taking it out of her mouth
- She is reaching for objects really well, while sitting & laying on her back or belly
- She hasn't rolled from her back to belly yet. As a physical therapist, I make her practice & help her roll over, but she just has no interest in that yet.
- She enjoys her exersaucer and is very fun to watch as she explores in it
- She still likes her swing and her bouncer, and likes sitting on her activity mat & grabbing all of the hanging toys
- Her favorite toys are not toys at all - she loves the TV remote, our cell phones, my hair, Bryan's tie when he's in work clothes, pieces of paper, etc.
- Brylee loves Paisley, but Paisley is only tolerant of Brylee. She reaches for Paisley, trying to grab anything she can - ears, nose, tail, etc.
- She went swimming for the first time this week. She didn't love it at first, but was having a great time by the end.

My Favorites moments:

- When we rock, Brylee reaches for my face, grabbing at my mouth, nose, & eyes. I love those times with her
- She loves being held upside down, and usually belly laughs because she is having such a good time
- She learned how to splash during bath time, and will sit in the bathtub content and happy for a long time
- Although I hate it when she cries, deep down I slightly enjoy that she is a "mama's girl" right now, and cries when I leave the room or leave her with someone else. It makes me feel so loved!

I have left her a few times in the nursery for Wednesday night class at church, and have left her a few times at the gym daycare. I am working myself up to leaving her overnight for the first time with Bryan's parents this weekend as Bryan and I celebrate our 5 year anniversary.

We love our happy baby, who is alreayd strong willed and occasinally a little dramatic. As hard as I expect it will be, I look forward to the years of "parenting" ahead, using this blessing of motherhood God has given me to teach my daughter how to honor Him.

We love you, Brylee!

Six Months - May 23, 2011


No comments:

Post a Comment