Saturday, August 25, 2012

If You Haven't Heard...

...we're having another baby! The rumor is true, and I'm finally getting around to writing about this second pregnancy. It wasn't that I was purposely keeping this news a secret or off the 'world wide web'....I just literally hadn't gotten around to it! And we're 21 weeks along! Ha! It's true what they say about multiple children...no one will get the attention like the first one had. It's a bit harder to find time to think, let alone blog, about this pregnancy, when I'm chasing a toddler around the house.
 
So here's an overview of the last five months of pregnancy:
 
How I found out:
We found out we were pregnant on May 14. Actually, I was the only one who found out! I had just driven 800 miles from Dallas to Atlanta with Brylee to help my family the week before my brother's wedding. Monday morning, I knew something was up, so took a home pregnancy test and, to be completely honest, was a little shocked it was positive! Bryan wasn't flying into Atlanta until Friday, and I thought this was too big of an announcement to share over the phone, so I kept it a secret for the entire week! It was the longest week of my life! Bryan and I only had a few minutes of quite to ourselves in the car on the way home from the airport, and we both were in awe of this amazing gift. We then told my family the following Sunday at dinner with a mother's day card from her two grandchildren (Brylee is the only grandchild currently). And we told Bryan's parents via Skype that evening when we were wishing her a happy mother's day. Everyone was very excited.
 
First Trimester:
We kept this news between us and our families until about 8-10 weeks, after our first ultrasound showed a healthy baby with a strong heartbeat. I had great plans to take some cute photo of us and Brylee sharing this announcement with everyone on Facebook, etc, but never got around to it. I felt pretty good overall, with a little evening sickness, but never actually threw up, which I know is a huge blessing. I felt this baby move around 15 weeks, and had great doctor check-ups the entire 3 months. I had no real food cravings, and gained less weight than I did with Brylee, although my belly started poking out significantly earlier than it did with Brylee! Overall, the first trimester went by fairly quickly, and I think it took me the entire 3 months to come to terms with reality that we were really becoming a family of four!
 
20 Week Ultrasound:
We had our anatomy scan ultrasound about 2 weeks ago, praying for a healthy baby and anticipating the reveal of our baby's gender. Part of me really hoped it was a girl, because growing up two brothers, and knowing these two children will be right at 2 years apart, I thought having a girl right now would be a very fun relationship to have between these two children. And the other part of me was hoping for a boy, because having a boy is also a dream of mine and ensures we wont be desperately trying for a boy after having a house full of girls. It was very obvious based on the ultrasound we were having another girl, and that is when I shed a few tears of joy! Our sweet girl checked out perfectly healthy, and was of course measuring big at this point just like Brylee.
 
Waving Hi!
 Sweet Profile
 Sweet baby bottom
 She's all curled up with her bottom in the air!
 
I still feel great, and am 21 weeks along. My doctor does not expect this baby to come early based on my history with Brylee. They wont induce me this time around since Brylee was a C-section. My options are to go into labor on my own and try to deliver naturally or go ahead and schedule a planned C-section. We're pretty decided on having a planned C-section on Jan 2 or 3, 2013, although if for some miracle I go into labor early on my own (say around 36 or 37 weeks), with a slightly smaller baby, then we might try to deliver non C-section. What I don't want to repeat is 3 hours of pushing only to deliver a 9lb baby via C-section (thank you, Brylee!)
 
And just for fun, these are the profiles of my two girls at 20 weeks gestation! Brylee is on top and the new baby is below. I think they look amazingly similar! What do you think?!

2 comments: